2004 Nov 30 10:38

Re: [vox-tech] computer pretending to be a printer

Re: [vox-tech] computer pretending to be a printer

Just connect the analytical machine to a Linux box using an ethernet cable
and have Linux box create a Windows share using Samba.  So you don't have
to fiddle with the parallel port.  But you can do that with a Windows box,
too.

Or just get a printer that doesn't jam. =)

-Mark

PS: Don't connect the two computers using the parallel port... Serial port
is okay but not the parallel port (unless you wanna make a custom cable
and write some custom real-time drivers!)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We have a rather expensive analytical machine in our department that provides
> few options for saving its output to file. The manual suggests that it can be
> used via windows networking to save its data to a remove windows share over
> ethernet. There is currently no way to get an ethernet cable into this room,
> so that is out of the question for now.... In place of saving an electronic
> copy of the output, the machine sends data to printer. This is most annoying
> as it can use lots of ink, and the printer has a tendancy to jam - and if it
> doesn't get printed, then the results are lost!
>
> So here is the idea... Would it be possible to setup a simple linux box
> connected to the printer port (i think that it is a standard parallel port)
> of the machine, and have the linux box filter the information and save it to
> a file? being a PPC person I have no idea if this is even possible with the
> protocol used for parallel printers... but i thought that it would be
> interesting to try.
>
> any thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --