2004 Nov 30 17:10

[vox-tech] convert keycodes to characters

[vox-tech] convert keycodes to characters

Hi,

As an academic endeavour, I am writing a program that will make data regarding
keyboard usage (key frequency, etc). So far I've got a program that can read
keyboard events via /dev/input/event0, but that gets me as far as keycodes and
event types such as 'key release' or 'key press'. What I would like next is to
convert the codes into characters, so different keymaps don't create spurious
data. That is, if I press the key labeled 'd', I want the code 32 to be
converted to a 'd' if using qwerty, xor to a 'e' if using Dvorak (32 is the code
generated by the key labeled 'd', regardless if typing on the console or in X
and regardless of console keymap and X keymap).

Ideally I could handle both console and X, but as I'm mainly in X the following
questions will suffice:

1. Can I programmatically figure out what the X keymap is?
2. Can I programmatically use the X keymap to convert keycodes to characters?

The corresponding questions re: the console would also be nifty. :)

-Bryan

p.s. I keep thinking it myself, so I assume some of you will think it: Yes, this
sounds like a keylogger. I promise, I'm not evil. 0:)

--
Bryan Richter
UCDTT President