2004 Nov 28 21:41

[vox-tech] rant and questions about LDAP

[vox-tech] rant and questions about LDAP

I want to run openldap on my home server.
Actually, I just want to centralize all of our address books and ldap looked like the best way to do it.
It was easy to install (apt-get install several things), then I tried to configure it.
Whoever designed the slapd.conf file was some combination of evil and perverted.
The values in the file are the opposite of self-documenting (non-documenting, confusing, unintuitive, fubar). Almost nothing makes any sense at all. Even the examples I've found just tell me what to put in without telling me why or what my choices are and what the best choice would be.

Now the questions
Does anyone have a better way to coordinate addressbooks over a couple of desktops?
Does anyone have ldap running on a small server and talking to Mozilla address books?
Does anyone know of a webpage that could be subtitled "slapd.conf for dummies"?
Does anyone know what slapd means?