2004 Nov 28 19:23

[vox-tech] PC100 RAM for 440-BX chipset

A 256MB DIMM of PC100 RAM is priced at $17.

However, if you want to stick that DIMM in an old 440-BX based motherboard,
that $17 balloons into $70-$100.  Apparently, low density PC100 RAM is about
7-8 times more expensive than high density PC100 RAM.  Apparently, it has to
do with the fact that low density chips require more silicon wafer.

Does anybody have some PC100 256MB low density DIMM sticks you wouldn't mind
giving away or selling at a reasonable price?  Maybe something you salvaged
when you tossed that old Pentium II about 4 years ago?  ;-)

I currently have 128 + 128 + 64 in my old dual Celeron box based on the
440-BX.  Considering its age, the performance I get from this machine is jaw
dropping, but occaisionally, it gets RAM starved, so I'd like to increase its
memory.

Thanks,
Pete