2004 Nov 24 14:06

Re: [vox-tech] Understanding a C hello world program

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 11:10:34AM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> [snip]
> >    p@satan$ size hello_world-1.o
> >       text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
> >         48       0       0      48      30 hello_world-1.o
> [snip]
>
> What the... how did you make your program so small?  My output:
>
>   $gcc hello.c -o hello
>   $size hello
>      text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>       960     256       4    1220     4c4 hello
>   $strip hello
>   $size hello
>      text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>       960     256       4    1220     4c4 hello
>   $ls -l hello
>   -rwxr-xr-x  1 mark    mark    2948 Nov 24 10:24 hello*
>   $gcc --version
>   gcc (GCC) 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-2)
>   [snip]
>
> -_-'

He's working with hello.o, the output of gcc -c hello.c
You're working with hello, the output of gcc -o hello hello.c
So yours is a completely linked version of the file, and his is the
object file pre-linking. He could use ld -o hello $LIBARIES hello.o to
get what you have.

--Ken Bloom