2004 Nov 24 00:04

Re: [vox-tech] Using awk or perl to find and replace

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Trevor M. Lango wrote:

> I have been reading the man pages and I'm lost.  I want to scan through
> an input file for an expression with this pattern:
>
>     h.*.JPG
>
> and replace it with an expression with the following pattern:
>
>     *.h.JPG
>
> Perl and awk both appear to be ideal candidates for just such a task
> but I'm a serious newbie to both of 'em.  Any help much appreciated!

Hi Trevor,

Does the pattern "h.*.JPG" match something like this: h.abc123.JPG ?
Since the period "." is a metacharacter in regular expressions.  If that's
the case, then a perl script like this would work:

while (<>) {
  s/h\.(.*)\.JPG/$1.h.JPG/g;
  print;
}