2004 Nov 22 18:34

Re: [vox-tech] Slackware 10 printing revisited

Re: [vox-tech] Slackware 10 printing revisited

På måndag, 22 november 2004, skrev wild bill:
[...]
> > - Run 'lsmod' and see the the parport, parport_pc, and lp
> > modules are present.
> >
> 	parport is present
> 		parport_pc and lp are absent
>
> > - Run 'echo hello > /dev/lp0' and see if anything comes
> > out of the printer, if lights blink, etc.
> >
> 	no response
>
> > - run 'tail on /var/log/syslog' and see if there are any
> > messages about the printer or parallel port there.
>
> 	none

Well this is pretty baffling; do you know for certain that the parallel and
the printer work? According to linuxprinting.org, this printer supports
direct text printing (tested by running echo hello > /dev/lp0):

http://linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_4L

Does your distribution perhaps have another log file, such as
/var/log/kern.log that hold kernel messages instead of /var/log/syslog?

--
Henry House