January 6: Social gathering
2004 Nov 16 08:24

Re: [vox-tech] Printing on non-Linux-compatible printers via WindowsPC (was: Printer Recommendation?

Re: [vox-tech] Printing on non-Linux-compatible printers via WindowsPC (was: Printer Recommendation?

So your Linux box is sending the document to the printer properly.  The
problem is with your Windows box.

As I recall, after your document gets spooled in GhostscriptLPR, it should
get spooled in the real printer.  If you don't see that happening, there's
a break in the link somewhere.  Maybe RedMon or the Postscript driver.
Look around -- verify each step and make sure you didn't miss anything --
hopefully you'll find the problem.

-Mark

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Trevor M. Lango wrote:

> On Sunday 14 November 2004 19:00, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > Hey Trevor.  I moved the e-mail back to vox-tech so other people can
> > benefit from our discussion.  I hope that's okay.
> >
> > Yeah, so the URL I gave you shows you how to setup the Windows XP computer
> > attached to the printer.  After that's all done, the Linux computer can
> > print to the Windows computer just like any UNIX computer on the network
> > with its LPR port open.  This can be done in several ways, but these days
> > it's done most commonly with CUPS.  There are several CUPS-configuration
> > tools, but the canonical one is a web-interface one which you can access
> > from your Linux box via this URL:
> >
> >    http://localhost:631/
> >
> > Select "Administration Tasks", enter "root" as your username and type in
> > the root password, [Add Printer], type in a printer name then continue,
> > select "LPD/LPR Host or Printer", type in the URL to the printer in this
> > format:
> >
> >   lpd://windows_box_ip/queue
> >
> > where "windows_box_ip" is the IP address or the name of the windows box,
> > and "queue" is "GhostscriptLPR" (if you followed the directions on the
> > website exactly.)  You might need to change your windows box to static IP
> > and refer to the box by its IP if you can't use the windows box's name as
> > "windows_box_ip".
>
> Okay - it *almost* seems to be working... :)  I set up everything exactly
> according to that guide's specifcaitons and yours.  On my linux box, when I
> go to http://localhost:631 and go to the "manage printers" section and click
> on "Print Test Page" - and then I watch the "GhostscriptLPR" print queue on
> the windows machine - I see the document spooling - and then deleting - and
> nothing actually prints.  Any suggestions?  Thanks again for your help with
> this!
>
> - Trevor
>
> [snip]

Mark K. Kim