2004 Nov 15 14:16

Re: [vox-tech] Printer Recommendation?

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Rick Moen wrote:
Personally, I think inkjet printers generally are a rip-off for daily
use, and therefore unacceptable for that role.  People tend to justify
them on grounds that (1) the price of admission is low, and (2) they
might occasionally want to do colour printing.  Thereafter, they get
eaten alive by the cost of ink cartridges.  This is true even if you try
to stick to black and white.

If I had an occasional need for colour printing -- I happen not to --  I
certainly _would_ buy one, but then not use it for general printing.
For that, I'd also acquire some workhorse printer using toner-based
printing (laser or LED-based).  If pinched for funds, I'd get one used.

As one who has fallen for the inkjet lure, I'd have to say I wish I'd gone for an entry level laser printer for my B&W printing. I do have occasion for color printing, so I'd probably still keep the inkjet around, but the B&W quality has really degraded recently. At the time of purchase, I had a roommate with a laser printer, which is why I went for inkjet to support color printing. One particular problem I notice is "feathering" around the edges that I think might be due to cat hair in the mechanism or a bad ink cartridge (more noticeable since the latest black ink catridge was put in). The real drawback is the time it takes to print even simple black and white documents though. Great for small jobs or a few pictures. Not so great for drafts of papers. I was able to grab a meal waiting for it to print a draft of my quals paper last year.