2004 Nov 15 12:55

Re: [vox-tech] Slackware 10 Printing

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, wild bill wrote:

On Saturday 13 November 2004 07:31, Ken Herron wrote:

The printer is plugged into the parallel port of the
Slackware 10 box and is used only by the Slackware 10 box

For some reason, PV has the parallel port disabled by default on Slackware 10. You will need to re-enable it in order to use it. In the file /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, make sure the section "Parallel printer support" is uncommented. You might also want to uncomment the "PC parallel port support" section, but it isn't required if all you're connecting to parallel is a printer. You can then either manually load the lp module or restart the machine. If you manually load the module, you may need to restart CUPS to get it to recognize the interface (I can't remember if I needed to do this or not). This can be done with the "/etc/rc.d/rc.cups restart" command. This shouldn't be necessary if you reboot.

As for any issues with CUPS and the HP printer itself, check this:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_4L