2004 Nov 15 12:55

Re: [vox-tech] Printing on non-Linux-compatible printers via WindowsPC (was: Printer Recommendation?

Re: [vox-tech] Printing on non-Linux-compatible printers via WindowsPC (was: Printer Recommendation?

Hey Trevor.  I moved the e-mail back to vox-tech so other people can
benefit from our discussion.  I hope that's okay.

Yeah, so the URL I gave you shows you how to setup the Windows XP computer
attached to the printer.  After that's all done, the Linux computer can
print to the Windows computer just like any UNIX computer on the network
with its LPR port open.  This can be done in several ways, but these days
it's done most commonly with CUPS.  There are several CUPS-configuration
tools, but the canonical one is a web-interface one which you can access
from your Linux box via this URL:

   http://localhost:631/

Select "Administration Tasks", enter "root" as your username and type in
the root password, [Add Printer], type in a printer name then continue,
select "LPD/LPR Host or Printer", type in the URL to the printer in this
format:

  lpd://windows_box_ip/queue

where "windows_box_ip" is the IP address or the name of the windows box,
and "queue" is "GhostscriptLPR" (if you followed the directions on the
website exactly.)  You might need to change your windows box to static IP
and refer to the box by its IP if you can't use the windows box's name as
"windows_box_ip".

Hope that helps!

-Mark

--