2004 Nov 16 08:24

Re: [vox-tech] What not to backup on RH9/apache

On Sunday 14 November 2004 04:18 pm, Jack LaPlante wrote:
> Rod Roark wrote:
>
> > I think you want to read up on rsync.  You can get it to
> > copy only what's changed, so you don't have to worry so much
> > about excluding things.
> >
> > -- Rod
> rsync will not work, AFAIK, because I can _only_ ftp into the backup
> server.  Can't get in via rsh, ssh, telnet. I guess I could rsync
> locally (on the same ded. server I'm bakcing up), then ftp to the backup
> server.  But does that make sense?

Hmm, that's not much of a backup server.  What I do is run
rsyncd on my server at home that's attached to DSL, and the
offsite server sends its backups to that.  This works really
well since I get about 5 Mbps inbound from the DSL.

It's also comforting to have the two machines in different
states and under different management... for example I'm not
screwed if I have a billing dispute with the hosting
provider.

BTW I'm using Layered Technologies (layeredtech.com) for
unmanaged hosting for a startup business.  They have really
good deals and astronomical bandwidth.

-- Rod