2004 Nov 15 13:08

Re: [vox-tech] Printer Recommendation?

Yeah, I agree with the others.  HP's inkjet quality is not as good as some
of the other vendors.  When I was working, we had an old Xerox
printer and the latest greatest HP all-in-one printer and the Xerox
beat HP in printer quality hands-down no contest oh-so-obvious when
we tried to print business cards on glossy paper.

I'd buy HP inkjet only because it's easier finding compatible Linux
driver, but since Rod and Rick has some good references for other vendors
I wouldn't even think about HP inkjet.  HP *laserjet* (1100) has been
really good for me, though, except for that one time but it turned out to
be a manufacturing defect and HP took the first step to contact me before
I thought about contacting them (one of the good things about registering
your product.)  Everything's working peachy now, and I'm still using a
toner from ~3 years ago that I got from OfficeMax at discounted price
because it was mispriced and I called it on them... =)

For my parents, I got them a Lexmark all-in-one (inkjet) printer, but it
has absolutely no Linux suport.  Lexmark is generally bad with Linux
support, apparently.  But I could still print to that printer from my
Linux box via the LAN using some postscript wrapper driver.  That still
needs the printer to be hooked up to a Windows box, though.

For me, the hardest part about shopping for inkjet printers is that most
computer places that I shop at lack choice.  Since I look for printers
other than HP, that limits my choice quite a bit.  These days I look for
all-in-one (with fax capability if at all possible) since the price
difference is so little and you get all other stuff with the printer.
That limits the choice to about 2-3 printers per store (with half of them
without fax capability), none of which are listed in the Linux
compatibility chart I take with me (if I take one.)  So I generally pick
one based on the vendor, which usually turns out to be incompatible with
Linux.  That seems to be same with every piece of hardware these days.
It's much easier if you buy online, though.  Anyway, something to think
about!

-Mark

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> I was wondering if someone could recommend an inkjet printer for Linux use.
>
> My printer will cost more to repair than it will cost for me to buy a
> new one.  I'm not using Linux now because of a motherboard problem.  I'm
> a 100% Windows98 user.  But I will get a new computer as soon as I get
> the money, and so need to plan for future Linux use.
>
> As a Windows user I'm leaning toward Epson.  I've heard that the inks
> are better than HP inks in that they do not run as much if the paper
> gets wet.  In addition, Epson has 3 or 4 separate color ink cartridges.
> So if you run out of yellow you get a yellow cartridge instead of having
> to pay $40 or so for one color cartridge like you have to do with an HP.
>
> As a past and future Linux user I'm leaning toward HP because HP makes
> Linux drivers.  SuSE 9.0 had the HP drivers and it was nice being able
> to easily choose different printing options.  I don't know whether or
> nor there is as much driver support for an Epson.
>
> So what do people recommend for Linux?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bob

Mark K. Kim