2004 Nov 13 13:21

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Now I have a virus. Argh!!!!!

On Sat 13 Nov 04, 12:42 AM, Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> said:
> Back in July, I wrote:
>
> > I've been making a list of the known Linux viruses.  It turns out to be
> > really easy to make one, but (except during rare vulnerability windows
> > when there's a nice juicy security hole that's just been discovered and
> > that you've figured out how to exploit) damned near impossible to get
> > them to be executed and spread.
> >
> > Staog, Bliss, Vit, RST (Remote Shell Trojan), Gildo, OSF, Kagob, Satyr,
> > Rike (Rike.1627), Winter (Lotek), Diesel, Nuxbee, Winux (PEElf, Pelf),
> > Svat, Obsidian.E, Simile (Etap), Jac, Pavid (Alfa.dr), Telf, Ynit,
> > Zipworm (distinctive only in that it likes to infect ELF files in Zip
> > archives), and Penguin:  These are all "ELF infectors", where "ELF" is the
> > standard Unix binary format.   [snip 100+ more lines]
>

> OK, I've let the other shoe drop, and catalogued / analysed _all_ Linux
> malware (to my knowledge), in a new addition to my "Rants" pages.  Enjoy!
>
> http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus#virus5

Nice one.  This is my favorite line:

   Saying these display a "virus problem" is like saying a homeowner had a
   "fire hazard problem" after he left his home wide open and unoccupied for
   six months, then burglars finally noticed the house, stole its valuables,
   and finally torched it.

Very well said.  BTW,

   Even though the category of "attack" is slight different,

"slight" should be an adverb since "different" is an adjective.

Pete