2004 Nov 10 08:52

Re: [vox-tech] OT math question

Dylan,

If your goal is to characterize the relative "flatness" of a numerical
Gaussian, you might want to use the 2nd derivative.

I assume you're interested in some kind of measure that determines whether a
Gaussian looks like a skyscraper versus a gentle rolling hill.

The 1st derivative at the Gaussian's maximum will be zero (since the slope at
the Gaussian's max will be zero).

The 2nd derivative of your Gaussian's maximum will be negative since the
maximum is concave down.  The question is, just how concave down.  For
skyscrapers, the 2nd derivative will be very large and negative.  For rolling
hills, the 2nd derivative will be nearly zero and negative.

For numerical data, you might want to consider the following procedure:

1. Find the maximum of your Gaussian.
2. Calculate a numerical 2nd derivative.  Use the 3-point method:

                 f(max + dx)  -  2 * f(max)  +  f(max - dx)
                                ( dx )^2

where "max" is the "x-value" of the datapoint with the largest "y-value", and
"dx" is the distance between "x-values".

That would be for one Gaussian.  If you wanted to characterize this for a set
of graphs, then you might want to think about using the standard deviation,
which gives you information about how many Gaussians have a 2nd derivative
between xavg+delta and xavg-delta.

Hope I understood the question correctly!

Pete