2004 Nov 03 01:50

Re: [vox-tech] screen question

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:26:01 -0500
p@dirac.org (Peter Jay Salzman) wrote:

> On Mon 01 Nov 04,  9:07 AM, Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> said:
> > On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:53:30 -0500
> > p@dirac.org (Peter Jay Salzman) wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Mike.  I did try the remote detach (-d).  It *said* that
> > > the session was forcibly detached, but a subsequent "screen -ls"
> > > showed the session as still being attached.
> > >
> > > Here's an example:
> > >

> > >    # Try to reattach
> > >    #
> > >    born$ screen -r
> > >    There is a screen on:
> > >            25783.pts-2.born        (Attached)
> > >    There is no screen to be resumed.
> > >
> > >    # OK, try to detach.  Looks like it worked.
> > >    #
> > >    born$ screen -d
> > >    [25783.pts-2.born detached.]
> > >
> > >    # Apparently, it didn't!
> > >    #
> > >    born$ screen -ls
> > >    There is a screen on:
> > >            25783.pts-2.born        (Attached)
> > >    1 Socket in /home/psalzman/.screen.
> > >
> > >    # Confirmed.  It didn't detach.
> > >    #
> > >    born$ screen -r
> > >    There is a screen on:
> > >            25783.pts-2.born        (Attached)
> > >    There is no screen to be resumed.
> > >    born$
> > >

> > > It looks like "screen -R" looks for a screen to be resumed,
> > > doesn't find one, so it starts a new screen session.
> > >
> > > Looks like I can name the session to be remotely
> > > detached/reattached, but that doesn't work either:
> > >

> > >    born$ screen -d 25783.pts-2.born
> > >    [25783.pts-2.born detached.]
> > >
> > >    born$ screen -r 25783.pts-2.born
> > >    There is a screen on:
> > >            25783.pts-2.born        (Attached)
> > >    There is no screen to be resumed matching 25783.pts-2.born.
> > >

> > I was able to reproduce this problem in with screen in CSIF.
> > screen-3.9.15-10 (that's the same version you've got)
> >
> > See if you can work around the problem by using
> > $ screen -d -R
> > (both parameters at the same time)
> > it worked for me.
> >
> > --Ken Bloom
>
> Ken, THANK YOU!!!!
>

> What in the world made you try the two switches simultaneously?  And,
> this is a bug, right?  :)

The screen manpage specifically documents using these two switches
together. Search for -d -r, and it lists about six of these
combinations. I'm not sure why -d and then -r on another commandline
would fail, but at the very least it is nice to save typing by putting
these on the same commandline.

--Ken