2004 Oct 31 21:05

[vox-tech] simple backup and restore

Hi,

I just want to do a simple backup, write the backup file to the system disk or an NFS mount. Then restore from that file.

I'm not sure what I should backup. I figure I can exclude: /tmp /dev /mnt /proc

If I do:

cd /
tar zcvf backup.tar.gz bin boot etc home initrd initrd.img lib media opt root sbin srv sys usr var vmlinuz

How would I restore, such that I get the previous image, and not a combination of the restored files and the new files?

What I want to do is install some software, do a backup, try installing some other software, restore to the old backup, try installing again...

Thanks
Jay