2004 Oct 31 21:05

[vox-tech] screen question

There's a bunch of computers that have NFS mounted /home.  I log into these
computers to run simulations.  In the past, I've used screen to leave a job
running and come back to it a few days later to check up on the output.

The screen sessions are saved in $HOME/.screen.  Typical socket:

   kusch$ ls -la .screen/
   total 8.0K
   drwx------    2 psalzman g96          4.0K Oct 31 20:36 ./
   drwx------   32 psalzman g96          4.0K Oct 31 20:36 ../
   prwx------    1 psalzman g96             0 Oct 31 20:37 6991.pts-13.kusch|

Recently, I've been having trouble reattaching to the sessions.  Here's a
pretty typical example.  I wrote a small perl script to keep writing
incrementing numbers to a file so I can see if the session is actually
running:

   kusch$ screen                           (1)
   [detached]                              (2)
   kusch$ screen -r                        (3)
   [detached]                              (4)
   kusch$ screen -r                        (5)
   There is a screen on:                   (6)
           7197.pts-13.kusch  (Attached)
   There is no screen to be resumed.
   kusch$

(1) Screen is started and the script (not shown here) is started.
(2) Second, I detached the screen session with ctl-a/d
(3) Third, I successfully reattached to it.
(4) Fourth, I detached from it again.
(5) Then I ATTEMPTED to reattach, only to be told that there's no screen
   to be resumed.

The perl script is still running, so the session is still "alive",, but for
some reason, I can't reattach to the session (despite the fact that I JUST
attached to it a few seconds ago).

Why all of a sudden I can reattach to the session?

Why does screen insist that the session is current attached?  According to
line (4), it should be detached.

Is there a way to reattach to this session?

Thanks!
Pete