2004 Oct 22 10:27

Re: [vox-tech] debian and openoffice

Quoting Ken Bloom (kabloom@ucdavis.edu):

> I did this for a while. I found that this made dist-upgrades require a
> little bit more work to ask for new dependancies from unstable when the
> dependancies in unstable changed....

Yes, that's exactly as designed.  The entire point of the aforementioned
pinning settings plus "-t unstable", in fact, is to pull not only the
requested package but also its specific dependencies -- and nothing else
-- from unstable.  That's precisely what one is aiming to achieve.

> and I found that most people on #debian aren't too keen on having
> people running mixed boxen.

People who come to #debian about mixed boxen generally do so because
they've just commited the blunder of mixing _stable/testing_ sources,
rather than testing/unstable -- and of course immediately run into major
trouble because of the huge gap in (e.g.) libc versions, whereas it's
very small between testing and unstable.  The reaction they get from
regulars is thus:  "Well, it _hurts_ when you shoot yourself in the
foot, doesn't it?  Next time, use backports."

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!