2004 Oct 21 23:41

Re: [vox-tech] debian and openoffice

What they (the Debian people) need to do is scrap testing and make
somethingg new.  Testing is really just an old snapshot of unstable as far
as I understand which doesn't really have a good purpose in practice.
What they should do is make something between Stable and Unstable, and
make more frequent updates like every three months (they don't even need
to announce it or anything -- just make it a Debian guideline), ask the
developers to mark the last stable version every so often, and have those
marked versions be put into the new branch automatically every three
months.

But I can babble all day and it'll never happen.  Babble babble babble!!!

-Mark -_-'

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:

> How does Gentoo keep it's "stable" branch "up-to-date" without becoming
> unstable? Could Debian learn from this?
>
> On the other hand, there are a lot of unofficial backport sites so you
> can run, say, the latest Mozilla on Debian Woody. But I have found that
> it would be nice to have something between stable and testing in Debianland.
>
> Rod Roark wrote:

> >>What level of expertise does one need in order to install Gentoo?  It's
> >>not like installing Mandrake or SuSE, right?  I'm somewhat familiar with
> >>the Debian install.  Is it like Debian?
> >

> > It's different because you are installing from source.  It's
> > not for newbies - you need to know Linux basics, or be ready
> > for a crash course!
> >
> > The best way to see what's involved is to skim the Handbook:
> >
> >   http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml
> >
> > -- Rod
>
> --
> R. Douglas Barbieri