2004 Oct 15 16:41

[vox-tech] procmail question: filtering message mangles headers

[vox-tech] procmail question: filtering message mangles headers

I have the following procmail recipes to create a makeshift mailing list:

:0:
* ^To:.*m10-update
{
      :0c
      updates.mbox

      :0fh
      | sed -e 's/^Subject: /Subject: \[M-10\] /'

      :0
      ! `$HOME/_sendmails`
}

The first recipe in the bracketed block archives to a mailbox and the third
forwards the message to the list of addresses produced by the script
_sendmails.

The second recipe is supposed to tag the subject header of incoming messages to
make them easy for their recipients to identify, just a many mailing lists do.
It does not work! Instead the messages are mangled---the subject is completely
blank and the To: and From: headers are re-written. This does not happen when I
comment-out the second recipe.

Offhand, I see no reason for this difference in behavior either in the recipes
or in the logfile. Clearly I am missing some subtlety. Can anyone enlighten me?

--
Henry House