2004 Oct 07 09:56

RE: [vox-tech] eth0 troubles

I'm sure everyone is still on the edge of their seats waiting for the
conclusion of this issue :-)

After discussion, Dell basically confirmed what we as a group had surmised
from this thread, that it was a hardware issue, and sent a Unisys tech out
to replace the motherboard.  Piece O' Cake!  The board and port work just
fine. (BTW, they replaced the mobo back in August, not this week as my
delayed posting might infer.)

Another troubleshooting technique I would like to share with the group was
to simply enter BIOS setup and look for the light to come on.  That
apparently was all they needed to assess function of the gigE port.  So the
next question would be, what is the significance of the LED?  Does it simply
mean that there is power to the device, or is it a highly advanced idiot
light that comes on only when all functions are verified?

Joey