2004 Oct 04 13:17

Re: [vox-tech] "bring to front" X-window command

Re: [vox-tech] "bring to front" X-window command

Bill Kendrick wrote:
On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 02:06:24PM -0700, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

Finally got around to trying this, and it does work directly in "simple" windows managers (tested in openbox). However, it doesn't quite work in KDE. Rather than the window coming to the top, the window's entry in the taskbar just flashes at me.

KDE does have an option to 'reduce focus from being lost', e.g. by pop-ups,
so the flashing is probably their way of dealing with it.

Try the above again, with that focus option turned off.

Yep, you are right. In KDE 3.3, the option is "Focus stealing prevention level: none|low|medium|high|extreme". Setting it to "none" allows my code to bring the desired window to the top.

However, I would like to override this feature in my program so that the window rises to the top no matter what the WM/DE trys to do. From what I understand, setting the "override-redirect" attribute of the window to "True" should do what I want. Instead, nothing happens when XRaiseWindow is called, neither in KDE or Openbox. Any ideas here?

If I can't override the WM, I'll have to put something in the help to tell users to turn off the appropriate "focus" setting. Do other WM/DE have this option like KDE? Does Gnome?

Thanks!
Jonathan