January 6: Social gathering
2004 Sep 30 10:53

Re: OO.o and graphics (was Re: [vox-tech] openoffice stopped printing)

Re: OO.o and graphics (was Re: [vox-tech] openoffice stopped printing)

Henry House wrote:
På torsdag, 30 september 2004, skrev Jonathan Stickel:
[...]

The fact that OO.o does not display imported EPS graphics on-screen is a PITA. However, you can export to pdf where the graphics do show and are high quality.

Actually it is worse than that: the exported PDF looks and prints like the
poor on-screen representation in OOWriter, i.e., with very poor quality.

Hmm... I just tried and choosing "export pdf" gave me no graphic, so that doesn't work. Instead, you need to "print" to a pdf. I accomplished by using "OO.o Printer Administration" and adding "kprinter" (sends the job to KDE's printing system). After printing to kprinter in OO.o, I get KDE's printing dialog and choose "print to pdf" This gives me a desirable result. Kind of a roundabout method, but it works. You probably could also use "cups-pdf".

But this doesn't help much either if your clients need to edit your documents, and I suppose Latex is out of the question ;)

I'm curious: how did you convert EPS to EMF?

Gnuplot outputs EMF directly. However, I also succeeded at conversion using:
'pstoedit -f plot-fig plot.eps plot.fig | fig2dev -L emf plot.fig > plot.emf'.
The conversion caused the lines to homogenize to a constant width --- a
minor disadvantage.  Pstoedit directly supports EMF (my manual page says so)
but my binary does not have that driver compiled in, so I did not test that
method, which surely be superior.

OK, I've used pstoedit a little.  I'll keep this in mind.

Jonathan