2004 Sep 30 10:53

Re: [vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

on Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 10:01:13PM -0700, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> Quoting Karsten Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):

> Works for Me<tm>.

Yeah, except your keybindings are all wrong ;-)

> > Have to say that while I generally prefer the look of Gtk over Qt
> > (particularly some of the candy KDE themes), I'm finding KDE apps
> > more usable these days.
>
> I find that whether something is a "KDE app" or a "GNOME app", or
> neither makes rather less difference than say, people's blood types on
> an ongoing basis.  Abiword, Gnumeric, Konqueror, JPilot, Bluefish, Dia,
> GIMP, MrProject, and so on have merits and usability completely without
> regard to which school colours their libs and graphical toolkits wear.

Largely agreed, but sticking my hand into that pile and pulling out,
say, AbiWord, we've got another instance of the disease:  perfectly good
project, with a laudable goal, sidelined as GNOME officiall "adopts" an
alternative tool.

For a large number of cases, AbiWord's pretty much what you need.  It's
missing a few features (and no I can't name them at present), but
benefits greatly from being quick to start and use.

Some here may have been present for my "Wups, we did it again" GNOME
skit at PicNix.  The damned project catches Corporate Disease of the
Month and 180s (or worse, 1260s), spinning off perfectly good projects
in some wild-ass goose chase.

KDE, bless its cold-hearted soul, picked a set of apps and stuck with
'em.

> At some point, all "GNOME apps" developed by sensible coders may be
> obliged to declare themselves (once again) strictly GTK+ applications
> that just happen to use selected libs from the collection associated
> with the GNOME Project.

I rarely pray, but here I do.

> I shudder to think what might happen, for example to Gnumeric,
> otherwise.

    <OK>   <Cancel>

> And Waugh was talking to the Mozilla Project about HIG standard.... Much
> potential for badness, there.

Hasn't Mozilla proved it can kill itself *without* any outside help?

I'm grudgingly leaning toward FireFox ATM, but miss Galeon 1.2.13 badly.

GNU/Linux browsers are moving backwards in overall usefulness.

Mind, MSIE *is* pure, unadulterated, mainlined, crap.

Peace.

    Windows Refund Day II:  fight for your right to refund
    http://www.windowsrefund.net/