2004 Sep 29 15:42

Re: [vox-tech] Problem with crond?

--On Wednesday, September 29, 2004 15:09:07 -0700 "Richard S. Crawford" <rscrawford@mossroot.com> wrote:

Ken Herron said:

Cron should log every command that it runs through syslog. First thing
would be to see if cron is actually launching the command on schedule
or not.
According to the system log, the command is indeed being run every five
minutes.  The PHP script itself is supposed to send out email; when I
browse to the page using Lynx or Wget or Firefox, the script runs
properly and I see the results in the maillog.
So, chances are the wget program is actually running. You imply that you know wget isn't working because you're not getting mail from the PHP script. If you have access to the web server's access log, it'd be a good idea to confirm that the web server isn't receiving a request.

Wget has a -o option to write messages to a logfile. Instead of running it with -q, run it with -o /some/file and see what messages it outputs.

If necessary, you could use strace -f on the cron process long enough to watch one of these wget invocations.

--
"Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared
the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons

Kenneth Herron Kenneth.Herron@mci.com v658-5894 916-569-5894