2004 Sep 28 15:41

Re: [vox-tech] Using Knoppix to configure another distribution

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 02:51:46PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> "PCI (credit card) Slots" are actually known as "PC Card" or "PCMCIA"
> slots, and are ISA-based, not PCI-based, technology.

There are PC cards (16-bit, ISA-ish) and CardBus cards (32-bit,
PCI-ish).

>From http://www.pcmcia.org/papers/new_bus.htm:

  PC cards use an 8- or 16-bit interface that operates at ISA bus speeds
  (8 MHz) using an ISA-like asynchronous protocol.  In contrast, CardBus
  provides a 32-bit multiplexed address/data path, which operates at PCI
  local-bus speeds of up to 33 MHz, yielding a peak bandwidth of
  132MB/sec.  CardBus accomplishes this by adopting the synchronous
  burst-transfer orientation of PCI, as well as a bus protocol, which is
  essentially identical to that of PCI.

-David