2004 Sep 28 15:19

Re: [vox-tech] Using Knoppix to configure another distribution

Re: [vox-tech] Using Knoppix to configure another distribution

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Jay Strauss wrote:
[snip]
> Specifically:
>
> Wireless Card
> Infared Port
> Modem
> DVD drive
> PCI (credit card) Slots

The infrared port should have a simple /dev/ttySn interface (no driver
needed.)

The modem should also have a simple /dev/ttySn interface if you have a
non-winmodem (no driver needed, though you may need to run `setserial` on
the /dev/ttySn device to configure it.)  If it's a winmodem, good luck...
`lspci -v` should show you what kind of winmodem you got, and if it's
supported, Debian might have a package available for that winmodem -- just
download it and read the documentation.

DVD drives are standardized.  No driver needed.

"PCI (credit card) Slots" are actually known as "PC Card" or "PCMCIA"
slots, and are ISA-based, not PCI-based, technology.  There's only a
handful of standards and Debian should be able to autodetect them if you
tell it that you got PCMCIA devices.

If your wireless card is PCMCIA-based, then the PCMCIA driver should
recognize it and load the proper drivers automatically.  If not, then run
`/sbin/lsmod` from Knoppix and write down the driver it uses and add those
names to /etc/modules from Debian.

I noticed there's some problem with wireless card autodetection in
Knoppix, though -- first off, you have to configure the wireless card fir
ESID and all that before you can enable the NIC.  However, Knoppix just
tries to turn it on, which of course doesn't work because it's not
configured yet.  So you have to turn off the wireless NIC (`ifdown`),
configure it, then turn it on again (`ifup`).  It's a little more
confusing and involved than the rest of Knoppix that are mostly automatic.
I recommend you do this *after* you install Debian, not while you're
installing.  So if you're doing a network install, for example, try to do
it from a wired connection first, then turn on the wireless connection
later, after Debian has been installed and working.

So it looks like most of it won't be a problem for you.  Run Knoppix, copy
down the output from `/sbin/lsmod` (and may I suggest you also write down
what driver X uses by running `X -probeonly :1`), then you should be able
to proceed with the Debian install.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim