2004 Sep 28 10:13

Re: [vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

On Tue 28 Sep 04,  8:55 AM, Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> said:
> Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net):
>
> > Tell me about it.  Many a morning, I walk into the office, hit the power
> > button, and then hit the restroom or go get a coffee.  A fast laptop running
> > XP is frustratingly slow to boot compared to even KDE on my slow desktop!
>
> Well, you _can_ take out the pruning shears.

I don't think Bill was complaining about KDE, but about XP (sorry if you
realized that and were simply saying that KDE could be even faster than it
already is compared to XP).

One thing I noticed about XP in an office environment is that all the
computers in the entire network slow down depending on how hard the server is
getting hit by spam or worms.  Each and every computer seems to take a
performance hit.  It's wierd.  I assume it has something to do with a tight
integration between our computers and an exchange server.

But even outside the office -- that XP laptop that I rescued a couple of days
ago -- I was VERY surprised at how slow it was to boot.

Just a plug for my favorite window manager: Joe Arruda (are you still here?)
introduced me to Enlightenment oh-so-long ago, and I've been hooked ever
since.  Start-up time is nearly equal to twm.  Snappy to keep me going fast.
Enough eye candy to keep me amused.  It's awesome.

> > My uptime is 26 days....
>
> [rick@uncle-enzo]
> ~ $ uptime
>  08:53:16 up 261 days, 20:24,  7 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.05, 0.01
>
> ;->

Pretty good, Rick.  I'm at about a third of your uptime.

p@gabriel$ uptime
 08:52:39 up 87 days, 18:21,  1 user,  load average: 0.16, 0.03, 0.01

Pete