2004 Sep 28 09:07

Re: [vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

Re: [vox-tech] Installing a desktop upon my laptop

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net):

> Tell me about it.  Many a morning, I walk into the office, hit the power
> button, and then hit the restroom or go get a coffee.  A fast laptop running
> XP is frustratingly slow to boot compared to even KDE on my slow desktop!

Well, you _can_ take out the pruning shears.

A lot of people seem to stubbornly believe that KDE is a monolithic
thing.  It's not; it's a herd of separate things.  Very likely, at login
time, you're running some eminently editable script called "kdestart" or
whatnot.  (I am not familiar with details.  I like having "ps" output
consisting only of things I understand and actually intended to run.)
The point is that you can decide which parts of the "KDE" non-monolith
to autoexecute at login, and how many of each, by making that decision
for yourself rather than allowing it to be made for you by some
packager.

> The fastest I've seen any time lately has been a basic WindowMaker or
> IceWM launch.

One of several reasons I like Window Maker is that it doesn't require a
lot of work to get what I want, and only what I want, to run.  (Plus,  I
always had a soft spot for NeXTStep.)

> But, as an app-lover, I've come accustom to Konqueror and the rest of KDE,
> so I live with the slower login process.

I very much like Konqueror and a number of other K-apps, too.   In my
experience, they'll run fine under any window manager at all.

> My uptime is 26 days....

[rick@uncle-enzo]
~ $ uptime
 08:53:16 up 261 days, 20:24,  7 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.05, 0.01

;->