2004 Sep 27 21:47

Re: [vox-tech] VPN question

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
[snip]
> The coolest person was the dean of IT, Mark, who was totally
> supportive.

You realize it's his name that makes him cool, right?

=P

> Is VPN the kind of thing where every implementation is different and it has
> to be reverse engineered on an implementation by implementation basis (like
> parallel port scanners or certain P2P protocols) or is there one VPN protocol
> that uses the same authentication across implementations?
>
> And if VPN is standardized, what are some clients that people like?

There seems to be a few variations in standards.  I know that not every
Linux client supports all variations.

Here at USC, we use Cisco VPN (IPSEC over something or rather protocol.)
I knew that because the Windows VPN client they tell you to use is "Cisco
VPN 3000 client."  I fully expected to wrestle with a few Linux VPN
clients before finding the right software and settings, but I found a VPN
client for Linux called "VPNC" (VPN-Cisco.)  It worked on the first try,
with no hassle.  The documentation was a easy read.

So I guess the first thing for you to do is figure out what protocol they
use, and find the right Linux client that supports it.  If you can find
out what Windows client they use and what settings, then you can
probably find the right Linux client and settings.  Good luck!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius