2004 Sep 26 20:29

[vox-tech] Jumpdrive on Knoppix

I spent some time today helping my wife with Knoppix.
She has a lot of experience with Windows but tends
to be baffled by command line programs. She would like
to be able to use the jumpdrive under knoppix leaving
the hard drive out of the picture (or at least remaining
read-only) When we plugged in the jump drive, it was
recognized, the drivers were loaded and a drive assigned
(/dev/sda1) However it wasn't mounted. After mounting,
it was still a problem because it belonged to root. I tried
to do a chown (as root) but kept getting operation not
permitted messages. The best I was able to do was copy
files, as root, between the jumpdrive and /home/knoppix
So, the question is, how can I change the ownership?
And then how can I have this happen automatically
when I plug in the jumpdrive?
Ideally, when I plug it in, it would be mounted to a
sub-directory of /home/knoppix with the permissions
set for the user knoppix

Richard Harke