2004 Sep 25 23:53

Re: [vox-tech] rescuing winxp?

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Michael Wenk wrote:

> I did this back in 2000 I believe, but I had a system with LILO that was
> hosed.  I started playing with lilo, and then I tried to use FDISK.EXE(from
> win98 OSR 2 ) and it still was not able to recreate the master boot record.
>
> This was a long time ago, and maybe I am misremembering.

If you installed LILO on a Linux partition instead of the MBR, and have
the boot flag set on the Linux partition, then recreating MBR with `fdisk
/mbr` won't do anything.  That's how I like to setup Linux on dual-boot
system, so Windows can't remove LILO.  Also, if the BIOS has MBR
protection enabled, BIOS won't let you write over the MBR.  So you're
probably remembering things right; it was probably some other issue.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius