2004 Sep 25 16:20

Re: [vox-tech] Sound on the thinkpad [not solved]

On Saturday 25 September 2004 01:48 pm, Jay Strauss wrote:
> > With ALSA you need an init script to restore saved mixer
> > settings on bootup.  On my Gentoo systems it's called
> > "alsasound" - perhaps you already have one and just need to
> > enable it.
> >
> > Solved yet?  :-)
> >
> > -- Rod
>
> I have a bunch of snd-* in my lsmod, so I guess I'm using ALSA.  I have
> a "alsa" in my /etc/init.d which I "start"ed manually just now.
>
> I still don't have any sound :(

You don't understand.  The init script is invoked on
shutdown to save the mixer settings to a configuration file,
and on bootup to restore them.  So to see it work, you have
to run a mixer to enable sound, make sure the init script
will run on shutdown and bootup, and then reboot.

If you look at the script you should see that it runs
"alsactl save" and "alsactl restore" on shutdown and reboot,
respectively.  "man alsactl" for more info.

Cheers,

-- Rod