January 6: Social gathering
2004 Sep 24 14:02

Re: [vox-tech] "bring to front" X-window command

Re: [vox-tech] "bring to front" X-window command

Mark K. Kim wrote:

Maybe it sends signals to the window manager
via X.

Which is what Jonathan was looking for -- a non-WM-specific way to bring a
window to the front.  Something that works with ALL window managers (or at
least the nicely behaving ones) that isn't E-specific or KDE-specific or
whatever.  He doesn't care if the request goes through the window manager
or not.

Yes, exactly, that's what I would like. What I'm actually doing is VTK programming (vtk.org), but through a scripting language. I figured out how to manually position and size the window via VTK commands, but this just moves the window around in its current layer without bringing it to the top. I tried positioning the window way off the screen where there would be no other windows, which it did, but when I ran the command to capture the image, X crashed. Oops, won't try that again!

Jonathan