2004 Sep 24 14:19

Re: [vox-tech] "bring to front" X-window command

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> Mark, I think that is true.  Window stacking is a function of the window
> manager.  Determining which part of a window needs to be refreshed when it
> gets 'dirty', I think, is the responsibility of the wm.

A window can request to the window manager for various things.  Like where
to be placed when it first comes up.  So there's *some* facility for
communication.

> Also, my gimp doesn't bring the window to the foreground when I take a
> screenshot.

Got me curious I booted up Linux, and you're right -- it doesn't bring the
window up.  xv doesn't either.  GIMP does bring window to the front under
Windows but I guess that doesn't mean anything here.

Try this instead: Fire up xmms, shuffle it to the back.  Right-click on
the program and it'll pop up a menu.  From [Options], select "Always on
Top".  That'll bring the program to the front even if it's in the back.

So there seems to be *some* facility for programs to request some sort of
shuffling to the window manager.  XMMS even knows how to move itself and
detect screen edges, functions you'd think are only available to the
window manger.  It's doing it *somehow* in some generic X way without
angering the window manager.  I don't program X directly (not really,
anyway) so I couldn't tell you how that happens, though.

> But even if it did, how do you know that the request was made to
> X and not the window manager?

It would have to go through the window manager.  I didn't say it didn't.

> Maybe it sends signals to the window manager
> via X.

Which is what Jonathan was looking for -- a non-WM-specific way to bring a
window to the front.  Something that works with ALL window managers (or at
least the nicely behaving ones) that isn't E-specific or KDE-specific or
whatever.  He doesn't care if the request goes through the window manager
or not.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim