2004 Sep 24 12:53

Re: [vox-tech] "bring to front" X-window command

Re: [vox-tech] "bring to front" X-window command

Bill Kendrick wrote:
On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 11:24:21AM -0700, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

Is there a command I can run from commandline, say from an xterm (actually konsole), to select a certain window in an X-session (actually KDE) and push it to the top? I'm doing some scripting and have a command which essentially seems to do a screen capture. I want it to capture the contents of a certain window, but that window must be on top, of course, not hiding behind another window.

I don't have KDE in front of me right now, but I'm guessing there's
probably a dcop message you can send either to the app, or to the kwin
process.

Just guessing, but something along the lines of:

  dcop app app-mainwindow\#1 show

Where app is the app in question.
Maybe poke at the kdcop GUI interface to the dcop's of the running apps.

Good luck!

OK, I'll look into that. I'm actually doing some development work for octave/octaviz (my first time as a developer!), and I'd like to have a method that will work on most unix/linux computers (and cygwin too, if possible). I was hoping for a low level X-windows system call, but I just realized windows management is going to depend on the specific windows-manager. ;) Oh well.

Jonathan