2004 Sep 24 00:59

Re: [vox-tech] rsync question

[Hoping to get faster transfer speeds using rsync:]

> Is there a way of telling rsync (or scp for that matter) to use a
> non-encrypted connection?  Is there such a thing as a NULL encryption for
> ssh?

1.  rsync uses as default network transport whatever is /usr/bin/rsh on
your system.  Because ssh/scp were designed to be a drop-in
replacement for rsh/rcp, it's exactly the sort of thing you can specify
as a substitute "remote shell" (substitute rsh) utility, using either
the -e option or the RSYNC_RSH environment variable.

2.  As Henry said, you could probably use netcat for that.  ;->

3.  Probably the closest you can get to "ssh -c none" is "ssh -c des".
I vaguely recall that the OpenSSH people removed the "none cipher"
option from their fork, deliberately -- though I'm not 100% sure of
that.

> I'm behind a strong firewall, I trust all the systems in my office, and I
> want to transfer files as quickly as possible.  What's the fastest method of
> transfering 20GB between two systems on a trusted network?

In addition to the above, you might try connecting without a remote
shell, by setting up rsync to run in daemon mode on one end, in which
case it accepts network connections on 873/tcp.  Might be faster.

(Me, I just use wget when I'm in a hurry.)

rick@linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.