2004 Sep 21 09:47

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Sarge, Video and Monitor Configuration

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Sarge, Video and Monitor Configuration

[CC'ing vox-tech for archival purposes, hope that's okay!]

Hi Jay,

For your monitor, VertRefresh should be 85 since 85Hz is your monitor's
capability.  But instead of just setting it to 85, it's best to give it a
range that it is capable, so X can pick the best one out of all the
possible ones.  Since most monitors are capable of 60Hz, it's safe to
assume your monitor is also.  So I'd set your VertRefresh rate to this:

   VertRefresh  59-86

As for HorizSync, I don't quite understand that thing.  I usually work
with the default range, tweaking it as necessary.  As long as you know the
vertical refresh rate is set properly, it's not too hard to tweak it.  I
think you can use xvidtune to help you tweak it, too.

BTW, many monitors today has the ability to display its current display
rate.  So if you have Windows or Knoppix and can get it into the mode that
you want, you can write down its display setting and apply it in the
XF86Config-4 file.  For example, by clicking on the [2] button on my
monitor I see that my Windows XP display (hehe) is currently set to "fH
68.7kHz, fV 85.1Hz", which means my display is currently using horizontal
sync rate of 68.7kHz and vertical refresh rate of 85.1Hz.  So I *could*
set my XF86Config-4 file to say:

  HorizSync   68-69
  VertRefresh 85-86

to get the exact same setting.  It's possible I won't get the exact same
setting, though, so I'd expand the range a bit, like this:

  HorizSync   60-80
  VertRefresh 70-90

Just approximating, knowing that my awesome Panasonic PanaSync Pro P110i
monitor I got from Geoff isn't stupid enough to blow up if I enter in some
bad number.

Just try it.  See if it works using your monitor's display feedback.
Monitors today don't blow up or smoke away like they used to... not that
I've ever seen one do that. Thankfully...

BTW, as I mentioned before, being able to set high refresh rates isn't
just about the video card, but also about the monitor, so you gotta make
sure the monitor is capable of it, too.  I got the impression that this is
a laptop computer, and if all you're using is the built-in LCD monitor,
then it's fine at 60Hz.  If you don't have a CRT monitor that you plug in
regularly, then keep it at 60Hz to be compatible with various things you
may end up plugging into (CRT, projector, A/V signal converter, etc. --
they all work at 60Hz but may not at higher rates!)  Otherwise match it
with the CRT monitor that you plug into regularly 'cuz it's pointless to
adjust the rates for things you may never plug into...  Just my 2 cents..
whatever that really means...! =P

Oh yeah, you're not finding the HorizSync and VertRefresh values for your
video card on the Internet because those are values for the monitor, not
the video card!  If you wanna look up those values, look up your CRT
monitor's specs, not your video card's!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim