2004 Sep 20 16:17

Re: [vox-tech] VM Ware questions

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Rod Roark wrote:

> On Monday 20 September 2004 03:08 pm, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> > On Monday 20 September 2004 02:57 pm, Rod Roark wrote:
[clip]
> > Just to clarify: in order for VMWARE to function, windows needs to be
> > installed thru VMWARE?
>
> Last I checked, yes.

Are you sure?  Way back when VMWare first came out, I installed the trial
version and was able to run Windows (either 95 or 98, don't remember) from
Linux on a dual-boot machine without re-installing Windows.

There was a slight issue, though, which was that all the hardware was
virtualized into different hardware models, so Windows thought I had
changed all my hardware, and Windows installed some new drivers.  And when
I booted into Windows directly without VMWare, it reinstalled the other
drivers again.

A system like this could be a problem with Windows XP, since it has that
hardware change detection thingy.  So everytime you switch between Windows
XP and VMWare Windows XP, although your hardware doesn't *really* change,
I guess you'll have to reactivate your Windows...  Such a pain.

BTW, VMWare gives you the ability to revert the partition back to the
previous setting, so you don't have to save any changes to the real
Windows system while you were running VMWare.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius