2004 Sep 20 15:14

Re: [vox-tech] VM Ware questions

On Monday 20 September 2004 02:57 pm, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Monday 20 September 2004 02:47 pm, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> > Greetings!
> >
> > Just got a new machine at work with a slick copy of Debian Sarge and it
> > is working quite well... However, there is 1 application - ArcGIS
> > (expensive, bloated, and buggy) that needs to be run on this machine from
> > time to time... Is there anyway to get a copy of VM ware to boot a WinXP
> > install from one of the partitions on the drive, such that it could be
> > used from Linux? Dual-booting is certainly an option, but it would be
> > ideal if I could run an instance of windows from within Linux (via VM
> > Ware)...
> >
> > has anyone on this list done anything like that?

Thanks for the info!

> A Windows installation is tied to the hardware on which it's
> installed, whereas VMWare provides its own virtual hardware.
> I.e. you'll need to install an instance of WinXP (and your
> application) under VMWare.

Just to clarify: in order for VMWARE to function, windows needs to be
installed thru VMWARE?

The only reason I ask, is that the possibility of running windows outside of
VMWare (via dual booting) would be nice to have.

> This is easy to do - the Windows filesystem on which you
> install can also be virtual, physically stored as a set of
> files in the Linux filesystem.  Which also makes backup
> easy.

So - it would seem that I could have a real windows install for the rare
instances of when i would actually want to boot into windows, and then a
virtual filesystem and install of windows for when i want to use it under
linux?

> VMWare works very well.  You should have no trouble.

looking forward to trying it out!

Thanks,

Dylan