2004 Sep 11 14:21

Re: [vox-tech] open office spreadsheet question - dereferencing

On Sat 11 Sep 04, 11:59 AM, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us> said:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > Hola,
> >
> > I use a formula to compute the average homework score for a class, only using
> > the scores of people who turn in the assignment.  In other words, it doesn't
> > include people who get zero (I always give a point for turning in a piece of
> > paper since a tree had to die for the paper).
> >
> >    SUM(B1:B14) / COUNTIF(B1:B14; ">0")
> >
> > I have to change that B14 each semester, depending on the number of people in
> > the class.
> >
> > Instead, if I were to put the number of students in another cell, say E40,
> > how could I dereference E40 and use it in the formula?   So, I'd like to do
> > something like:
> >

> >    SUM(B1: *E40) / COUNTIF(B1:*E40; ">0")
> >
> > where "*" is some kind of dereference operator.   How do I do this?
>
> AFAIK, you can't.  But what is to stop you from assuming you will never
> have more than, say, 100 students at a time?
>
>   SUM(B1:B100) / COUNTIF(B1:B100; ">0")

Aiieeee.  It's such a simple request!!!

I can't really do:

   SUM(B1:B100) / COUNTIF(B1:B100; ">0")

because I have test and lab statistics underneath the homework statistics.
Looks like I'll either have to move what's underneath to a different page
to use your suggestion (and figure out how to form a grade from numbers on
different pages) or just grin and bear it with changing the ending student
row each semester.

Ah well!

Pete