2004 Sep 08 15:12

Re: [vox-tech] my keyboard quit working

Bill Kendrick wrote:

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 07:50:21PM -0400, Paul wrote:

All this makes me think that my problem is buried somewhere in X or KDE.

One quick test... don't boot into X-Window and see if the keyboard continues
working after the kernel has come up (you said it worked in LILO), but
before X11 comes up (you said it didn't work in KDE).

You can try doing "linux single" (where "linux" is the name of the kernel
in LILO that you want to test) to boot into single-user mode.  If you can
type at the root prompt, then yes, it's an X issue. :^)

Good luck!
I had a similar problem on my AMD box at home. I could get into console and my keyboard worked fine. But for some reason, it stopped working in X. Specifically, using just plain "xinit" to start X, the keyboard would not work. When doing "startx", however, something about the initialization of KDE caused the keyboard to start functioning again.

I have since re-installed Debian onto a completely clean hard drive (same machine, however), and the problem went away. I'm not sure what the problem was in the first place :-/.

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com            Man, some trip this turned out to be.
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/       All we caught is a tire, a boot,
New Breed Software                    a tin can and this book of cliches.

R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net
begin:vcard