2004 Aug 27 12:12

Re: [vox-tech] Identifying the directory that contains thecurrently running executable?

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 11:31:34AM -0700, Ken Herron wrote:
> Bill noted the entry in the /proc filesystem. For systems without /proc
> there's no simple way to get this.

Yeah, I was wondering... ;)

> The program can examine argv[0], but
> that may contain only the program name without the directory path, in
> which case you would generally read the PATH environment variable and
> look for the program in each directory listed. It's also possible for
> argv[0] to contain an irrelevant or misleading string, so you shouldn't
> depend on it if security is an issue.

Such as an alias, for example?  (I suppose I could try testing...)

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com          "Maybe it's just a parlor trick, like Fry"
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/             "Like Fry! Like Fry!"
New Breed Software