2004 Aug 26 19:08

Re: [vox-tech] Power consumption

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 11:12:24AM -0700, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> Obviously, battery make, age, etc plays a big role.

Yup.

> Hmm... as an engineer I'm curious about wasted energy, primarily in the
> form of heat.  A good test might be to put 2 laptops is well-insulated
> chambers and measure the heat generated under idle vs. full cpu use...

Heh, sounds like a rather difficult way to measure power usage, yes over
99.9% of the power is dissipated into the immediate environment.

I'd suggest http://tinyurl.com/43c5w.

Then try to as similar a configuration as possible so you can measure
the difference in cpu usage.

--
Bill Broadley
Computational Science and Engineering