2004 Aug 26 15:52

Re: Fwd: Re: [vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = deadxserver: solved

Re: Fwd: Re: [vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = deadxserver: solved

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:33:09 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> About SIG11 errors:  Most often, signal 11 indicates RAM defects (89%
> of the time), or CPU problems including overheating (1%).  Let's say
> as a vague handwave that the other 10% are defective software.  Since
> Ashleigh wasn't getting SIG11s _before_ he upgraded, one suspects
> software.  Thus my "chuck X11 out completely, including --purge to
> snag conffiles, and refetch X11 packages; and, if that doesn't work,
> snag the unstable branch's packages" bit.

I don't think that's correct. Signal 11 is better known as SIGSEGV, and
it is a segmentation fault usually caused by a programmer dereferencing
an uninitialized pointer (or a deleted pointer). It's entirely a
programmer error.

My key was last signed 08/18/2004. If you use GPG *please* see me about