January 6: Social gathering
2004 Aug 25 10:06

Re: [vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Re: [vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Kevin Murakoshi wrote:

On a weird hunch what if you use "xinit" to start X instead of
"startx"? Maybe your window manager is fucking up....

--kevin (i'll fix this, if it's the last thing i dooooo!!!)

Sorry Kevin, the hunch didn't work - I get the same error. I appreciate your valiant efforts though! One thing that is making me think I should do a clean sarge install is that when I do dpkg -l, there are loads of woody stuff still on my system - even lots of woody X stuff - why wouldn't those have been upgraded to sarge? Could it be that my upgrade was not as successful as I think and I have a mixed installation? I can't really think of any reason not to just do a clean install - I have the CD's so it should be pretty easy. I guess that wouldn't uncover the reason why the upgrade didn't work, but frankly my dissertation has to be finished by December and I need a working system ASAP.

I haven't tried the closed source nvidia drivers yet so maybe I should try that before an install.

Anyway, if anybody has any further ideas before I resort to a fresh install I'll try anything!

Thanks!

Ashleigh