2004 Aug 25 12:58

Re: [vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Re: [vox-tech] debian woody to sarge upgrade = dead xserver

Ok, it's what i thought, it can't find the usb mouse because it's not
plugged in.

You are going to want to comment out the "Generic Mouse" line like so.

Section "ServerLayout"
       Identifier      "Default Layout"
       Screen          "Default Screen"
       InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
       InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
#       InputDevice     "Generic Mouse"
EndSection

--kevin

Kevin - oops, I think the first time I tried your above suggestion I accidentally commented out "Configured Mouse" - hence the immediate error and no attempt to start X. But now I am sure I've commented it out as you have above, and I am back to the original error - screen goes black, then there is kind of a flash and I'm back out to the prompt with the same error: Fatal server error: Caught signal 11. Server aborting. And the the same XIO: fatal IO error 104...

Not to be a major wimp and give up, but should I just install sarge from scratch, rather than trying to upgrade woody? Or maybe this problem would still occur. I really hadn't done much to my woody setup so I don't see what I'd lose.

Ashleigh