2004 Aug 23 10:57

Re: [vox-tech] Firefox - Web driving me batty

Re: [vox-tech] Firefox - Web driving me batty

--On Monday, August 23, 2004 09:39:35 AM -0700 Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:

I'm curious as to why people (1) insist on making links open in new
windows these days (what with middle-click opening in new tabs and
windows when the /user/ wants them to), and (2) continue to use
Javascript to do this junk when there's a perfectly good HTML attribute
('target="_new"') that you can give an <a href> tag.
(1) The browser used by probably 90% of all web surfers doesn't support tabs, or even something like middle-click to open in a new window.

(2) Javascript's window.open() function gives you more control over the new window. You can specify its size, suppress the normal browser controls, etc. Some web authors probably see this as useful.

In any event, the link in question submits the form located just below the link. If they'd done it the normal way, with a button to submit the form, middle-click on the button still wouldn't do what you want.

--
Ken Herron