2004 Aug 22 00:09

[vox-tech] machine fails to post

I have a machine (self-built) that started freezing randomly a few days ago,
then rebooting at random inopportune times. Now most recently it does not
boot up at all but fails to post (there is no beep or any other sign of
funtioning after the keyboard LEDs flash once).

The CPU (VIA C3 running without a fan, only a heatsink) felt very hot when I
touched it, so I suspect that it overheated and expired. (I wish I had an
instant-read electroni thermometer.) I did a quick check for electrical
contact between the board and the metal case that could cause a short but
found saw none.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I order a new CPU?

--
Henry House